Author: J.J. Masters
Book: The Selkie Prince’s Fated Mate
Series: The Royal Alphas
Page/Word Count: 236 pages / 56450 word count
Categories: Contemporary Romance, Gay Romance, Shifter Romance, mpreg
Release Date: August 4, 2018
Cover Artist: Megan Parker of EmCat Designs
A Selkie prince forced to produce an heir. An omega destined to become a royal’s fated mate…
Prince Kai’s life as he knows it is now over. As the firstborn alpha to the Selkie King of the North, he’s required to produce an heir. Whether he wants to or not. When the Selkie Seekers finally present his fated mate, he dreads being tied to this stranger for the rest of his life. He can only hope his omega will be easy on the eyes and somewhat intelligent.
Raised in a family of good breeding, Luca always knew it was possible he’d end up the mate for an alpha of nobility. Only to whom, he never knew. Every time the Seekers summoned him for the humiliating presentation ceremony to royalty of all levels, he feared being stuck with some unbearable, abusive or very unattractive alpha. As an omega he doesn’t have the choice to say no. Not only is it his obligation, it’s the law. If he refuses, he and his family would become outcasts and banished from the Selkie community.
However, as soon as Kai enters the Great Hall of the North, it’s clear that the handsome prince is his alpha. Luca’s pleased with the choice the fates made until the king demands that not only he become pregnant within six months but produce an alpha pup with his son, otherwise he’ll be cast aside. And getting pregnant might be a problem…
Note: A 56k word m/m shifter mpreg story, this is the first book in the Royal Alpha series. Due to the “knotty” times in this book, it is recommended for mature readers only. It can be read as a standalone and, of course, has an HEA
Luca wandered around the large suite feeling a little overwhelmed. He had been brought here by a beta servant right after finishing dinner. Not that he had eaten much since his stomach had been tied in knots.
How could it not be? He had sat for two long hours next to his new alpha. Imagine that! His fated mate turned out to be an actual prince and next in line for the throne as the King of the North.
That meant whatever heirs he produced with this prince could eventually succeed the throne. Whatever pups he bore would be princes in their own right.
But that wasn’t what made him slick with excitement. No, that wasn’t it at all. It was the alpha himself.
Being raised in a family of good breeding, Luca always knew that it could be possible he’d end up being the fated mate for an alpha of nobility. Who and where he never knew. As soon as he had become “of age,” the Selkie Seekers had summoned him time and time again to present him to royalty of all levels. From a king all the way to the lowest level of Selkie nobility, a baronet.
He couldn’t say he enjoyed any of the presentations. They were somewhat humiliating. However, over the last ten years, he’d gotten used to them. Well, as much as he could get used to being nude in a head down, ass up position in front of a crowd. Sometimes for up to an hour at a time.
Each time he was summoned he had hoped he wouldn’t get stuck with some unbearable, abusive or very unattractive alpha. Because if he did, he knew he had to do his duty no matter what and rut with whomever it was. As an omega he didn’t have a choice to turn away the mate fates handed him.
It was his obligation and, more importantly, it was the law. If he refused, he and his family would be banished from any and all Selkie communities. They would become outcasts.
However, as soon as Prince Kai had entered the Great Hall of the North, he knew that the male was his alpha. Luca’s slick glands had started to leak just slightly, and his hole had loosened in preparation for mating. At that point, it took all that Luca had to remain in place, to stay in his submissive position as the alpha strode around them, inspecting the offering of omegas.
Of course, Luca had snuck in some peeks here and there and was pleased to find that his alpha was in his prime. Tall, broad-chested, dark-haired, and… simply handsome. When the regal prince had brought Luca to his feet, he’d lost his breath as he stared into those Caribbean blue eyes. The ones that bore straight into his soul.
4✨s – I enjoyed this book very much. There are a lot of unique (to me at least) “shifter/mpreg” elements that were very refreshing. My first question was “what is a selkie” so I had to look that up. In this instance, it’s a seal and I found the way they “shift” to be unique. I found the way mates were “presented” and how whelping (the birthing process) was also very different. There is quite a bit of knotting/sex in this book so its steamy!! It was a great read and kept my attention.
About J.J. Masters:
J.J. Masters is the alter-ego of a USA Today bestselling author who writes hot, gay romance filled with heart, humor and heat. J.J. became fascinated with mpreg romance as soon as she figured out what mpreg stood for. She loves to write about “knotty” men! You can join JJ’s FB Group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/JJMastersAuthor/or her newsletter here: https://bit.ly/2E2zcaB to keep up with exclusive content and news.
Interview with J.J. Masters:
- As an author myself, I know inspiration can strike at the most inopportune moments (like in the shower, when you don’t have anything to write with!). So, what was the inspiration behind The Selkie Prince’s Fated Mate? I always wanted to write something paranormal-ish. And I recently discovered mpreg romance and fell in love with the niche, so I figured I’d start a second pen name to try my hand at that genre. (I write contemporary erotic romance under my main pen name)
- What is your writing process? I’m a pantser. I let the characters tell their own stories.
- There’s a big leap a writer takes from putting words down on paper for the love of it and actually publishing those words for public scrutiny. What was that journey like for you? I’ve actually been published since 2009 with my main pen name. I’ve been writing since I was about 13. I’ve always like writing down stories and when I finally got brave enough (and confident enough with my writing) I submitted to a publisher. The story was accepted and I went on to write a couple more books which were accepted immediately with other publishers. Then in 2016, I decided to self-publish and keep total control of my books. It was the best thing I ever did.
- What do you think makes a good story? Solid characters, lots of emotions, a good plot and always a touch of humor. I want my readers to run through the gamut of emotions when reading my books. I want them to laugh one moment and then cry the next. The story should be an emotional journey.
- What can readers expect from you next? I’m currently writing book 2 of The Royal Alpha series: The Selkie Prince & His Omega Guard. It’s release is planned for October. This will be a five book series since there are five brothers who are Selkie princes. Then I plan to do a spin-off series.
- Least favorite endearment: Sweetie
- If you were ice cream, what flavor would you be: Rocky Road
- Sleep with your socks on or off: Off
- Ask for permission or ask for forgiveness: Ask for forgiveness
Where to find J.J. Masters: